I find this coments from LJ very interesting. Could it be anger at the
media or fear of loosing an NBA title after coming so close to it?

Have a great weekend!

God speed!
Pa Mambuna

Friday, Jun. 25
LJ silent on court, talkative off it

By Kevin Jackson
ESPN.com

NEW YORK -- Larry Johnson was back in the center of the storm again
Thursday
afternoon. Only this time, the controversial New York Knicks forward
didn't want to
leave.

That's right, the same man who has been fined a total of $35,000 for
failing to talk to the
media on three occasions during the 1999 playoffs was actually begging
for a little more
time to meet the press.

The horn had sounded at Madison Square Garden,
signifying the end of New York's half-hour mandatory
media session before Game 5 of the NBA Finals on
Friday night. Several Knicks officials immediately told
Johnson to wrap it up, and coach Jeff Van Gundy even
came over to say practice was about to start.

Perhaps they'd have been a little more forceful if they'd
known what Johnson was talking about.

Johnson insisted he needed a few more minutes to set
the record straight on the most controversial of topics --
slavery. So he decided to speak his peace before joining
his teammates on the Garden floor for some stretching
exercises.

In case you haven't heard, Johnson set off a firestorm of
controversy Tuesday, when he characterized the Knicks as a band of
"rebellious slaves."

Since then, Johnson has been chastised in the New York media for being
completely out
of touch with the slavery issue. NBC broadcaster Bill Walton even called
LJ "a disgrace to
basketball" after hearing the comments.

When the topic came up again Thursday, Johnson felt the need to explain
why a man with
an $84 million contract could possibly consider himself a "slave."

"Can I ask you all a question?" Johnson said, as the questioning began
to heat up. "Have I
lied?"

When he got no response, he continued, "Oh, OK, then I'm telling the
truth. But people
still say, 'Shhhh.'

"Listen, no one man can rise above the masses of the conditions of his
people.
Understand me," he said. "I am privileged and honored by the situation
that I am in. No
question. I have an excellent opportunity, and this is a beautiful
country, the best country.
But it's not holy, it's not righteous."

Then, Johnson turned a little political.

"We talk about what's going in Kosovo," he said. "We talk about Nigeria
and all that.
Well, what's going on here? Huh?

"Sure, we see the NBA, it's full of blacks, and the NFL and all that.
Great opportunities,
and we've made beautiful strides. But when I go back to my neighborhood
(in Dallas), I
see the same thing.

"I'm the only one who came out of my neighborhood. All of them are dead,
in jail, on
drugs, selling drugs. So am I supposed to be honored and happy and
whatever, just by
my success or by that brother's success? But I can't deny the fact of
what done happened
to us over years and years, and we're still at the bottom of the totem
pole. I can't turn my
head on that."

Still, Johnson's comments Thursday will surely turn more heads in New
York. Although
the Knicks are trying to extend their season and overcome a 3-1 deficit
against the Spurs
in this series, Johnson talked as much about social issues as he did
about basketball.

When he was asked about the play of Spurs point guard Avery Johnson in
Game 4, LJ
again shifted the topic to slavery.

"That's my man, Ave, because we're from the same plantation. We've both
got the
Johnson name," he said. "You tell Bill Walton that. We're from Mas'r
Johnson's
plantation."

Clearly, Johnson isn't concerned about how his explosive comments will
be received. He
spoke at length earlier in the week about how he doesn't care if people
"don't like me,"
calling it simply "mutual respect."

Johnson said he's played with a bit of a chip on his shoulder since his
college days,
ironically for a UNLV team nicknamed the Rebels.

"I don't care about myself. I've got a family that loves me, (and) a
wife, kids and mother
that love me. So I don't care what you guys write or say about me," he
said.

And that goes for Walton, who had these comments after Game 4: "Larry
Johnson, who
spent the last 48 hours railing against the world, what a pathetic
performance by this sad
human being. This is a disgrace to the game of basketball and to the
NBA. He played like
a disgrace tonight, he deserved it."

LJ's retort to Walton was just as harsh: "That's not the same Bill
Walton that was at
UCLA, smoking pot and (being a) hippie. If that's the way Bill feels,
that's the way Bill
feels," said Johnson, who went as far to suggest that Walton and other
white media
members should trace their ancestry for possible connections to slavery.
"But you know
what, I respect that. That way me and Bill know where each other
stands."

Although he knows he's standing knee-deep in controversy again, Johnson
is nonplussed.
He can already picture tomorrow's headlines.

"I'm going to be killed with my 'slave' quote, which is 100 percent
true," he said. "And
y'all know it."

And with that, Johnson hit the floor to actually work on some
basketball.