    From: sambou <[log in to unmask]>
    To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
    Date: Wednesday, June 23, 1999 2:32 AM
    Subject: A Lost Friend

    I am looking for my friends,both of whom i lost in contact when i moved
    from Illinois to Ohio.They are Ebrima  Ceesay and Musa Sowe. They both
    graduated from Nusrat High School. Ebrima Ceesay used to live at Serrekunda
    (Latri-kunda Sabji) while Musa Sowe is from Brikama. Musa Sowe is currently
    living in North Carolina at Raleigh.If any body know either of them,please
    give them my E-mail address or my phone number. By the way i am Sambou
    Jaiteh
    E-mail   [log in to unmask]
    Phone----(614) 431-0619

    If you see any one E-mail like this with an attachment do  not open it.Last
    time i send something,some one put an attachment to the same heading.

                                                       Sambou

    ----------
    > From: chernob jallow <[log in to unmask]>
    > To: [log in to unmask]
    > Subject: Tribute to D.A.Jawo
    > Date: Tuesday, June 22, 1999 1:54 PM
    >
    >                           D.A.Jawo: A man,a mission
    >
    >                            by Cherno Baba Jallow
    >                            in Detroit,USA
    >
    >          "You can't run tanks on hopes. You can't riddle people's
    yearnings
    > with bullets."
    >                      --- Pres. Ronald Reagan to Chinese leaders on
    Tiananmen
> [...]
    > powerful,and hell-bent on stifling intellectual growth and freedom. Jawo
    may
    > have been driven to the edges of intellectual frustration, but the
    > ebullience and resilience in him,larger than imaginable,will rekindle his
    > hopes,put him once again,on the cusp of his mission: to speak the
    > unvarnished truth without fear or favour,in these days of Gambian
    political
    > insanity. And incivility.
    >
    > While at the Observer,Jawo unwittingly earned himself the custodianship
    of
    > the newspaper's traditions and precepts. He infused responsibility and
    > accountability in all of us - young writers,occasionally prone to
    youthful
    > immaturities and peccadilloes yet working for a credibly serious
    newspaper.
    > He knew us all by our personae,typescripts,writing styles and work
    ethics.
    > And he would dutifully point out our errors and proffer solutions,and
    then
    > leave you to defend your position.
    >
    > Jawo's writings as a reporter and columnist at the Observer had the
    cutting
    > edge of truth. He never shied away from speaking his mind even if the
    scales
    > of public opinion were against him. That's one of the traits of a good
    > columnist: readiness to grapple with any issues whether controversial or
    > inflammatory of majoritarian tyranny.
    >
    > And Jawo was such good columnist. He wrote with verve and
    > enthuasism,profundity and clarity,honesty and objectivity. He combined
    > toughness and civility,which made his acerbic writings painfully
    > irresistible,instructively unputdownable. Read this:
    >
    > "The AFPRC also promised us that openness,transparency and accountability
    > will be the hallmarks of the regime, but it appears that there is quite a
    > lot left to be desired in that regard. We have witnessed the summary
    > dismissal of senior civil servants and other republic servants,and others
    > have been arrested and detained without anyone caring to tell us the
    reasons
    > for such drastic actions." Jawo was doing a stocktaking of the AFPRC'S
    100
    > days in power in 1994. Five years later,his words still have a ring of
    truth
    > about current political realities in our nation.
    >
    > But Jawo had one skill that many columnists do not have: he had ways of
    > telling you 'go to hell' and still have you come back to him looking for
    > friendship. Do you want a proof of that? Just see how he single-handedly
    > challenged State House Imam Abdoulie Fatty on his fanatical
    > rabble-rousings,which Jawo considered to be inimical to Islamic
    > sanity,secular unity and societal progress. In return,the Imam
    "threatened"
    > Jawo,but later denied he ever did so. He said he would be happy to meet
    Jawo
    > and even shake hands with him.
    >
    > Imam Fatty's overt change of heart was not because he wittingly submitted
    > himself to self-scrutiny,but because he discovered his threats could not
    > frighten Jawo into silence;that Jawo was a mountain that didn't move. He
    was
    > rock-solid in his opinions on the actions of the Imam. Jawo was not the
    type
    > of reporter or columnist easily brow-beaten into reticence. Speak his
    mind
    > he must!
    >
    > I recall with great nostalgia my days at the Observer with Jawo. If he
    was
    > not editing news reports,he was always busy scribbling notes which  he
    would
    > later develop into a thought-provoking essay or commentary. His eyes
    gazing
    > above the rims of his lenses,adorned with his grizzled hair,Jawo would
    > always engage us in journalistic dialogue on issues of the day. He would
    ask
    > probing questions and then a proliferation of ideas would follow. We
    never
    > always agreed with him,but oftentimes we listened with painstaking
    > attention,as he argued his points.
    >
    > My respect for Jawo increased when, out of sheer ethica values,he stood
    by
    > me during my confrontation with the then Acting Nigerian High
    Commissioner
    > Goffrey Teneilabe. The High Commissioner was incensed by an article I
    wrote
    > in my column in 1995 lambasting his propagandist diplomacy at the behest
    of
    > Sani Abacha,Nigeria's most brutal military dictator since Ironsi in 1966.
    >
    > I wrote: "Time after time,the Acting Nigerian High Commissioner,more
    > loquacious than profound,has put up a spirited defence in favour of the
    > Abacha regime. The Abuja administration is constantly proffered panegyric
    > stakes. And anything critical of it is viewed disdainfully." The High
    > Commisioner went bonkers! He threatened to sue me and the Daily Observer
    > Company,for libel? We wondered.
    >
    > Granted,facts and Almighty God were on my side,and I had received
    tremendous
    > support from Nigerians in the streets,I still was visibly shaken by the
    > threat of a suit. Here was a young columnist taking to task a high
    > commissioner of the most powerful country in West Africa. I didn't want
    > go through all the rigmarole of court proceedings;it was going to waste
    my
    > time and delay my efforts to pursue university education abroad,I
    lamented.
    > And I was concerned that my family,which was always opposed to my
    journalism
    > career,would have had more genuine reasons why I needed to quit the
    > profession.
    >
    > But Jawo determinedly pep talked me out of my emotional distress. "You
    have
    > nothing to fear," he reassured me. "Your opinions are your opinions," he
    > added. He reasoned that to put me on trial for my opinions,expressed
    within
    > the ambits of the law,would be a travesty, and that the Nigerian High
    > Commission was simply fighting a rearguard situation.
    >
    > Up till I left The Gambia in 1996,nobody would tell me anything more
    about a
    > lawsuit from the Nigerian High Commission. An informed source would later
    > tell me the suit-threat had been dropped,and the High Commissioner had
    > simply lodged a complaint against me at the Foreign Affairs Ministry on
    > Marina Parade.
    >
    > Jawo's moral support was very instrumental. It energized my zeal to pen
    down
    > yet more groundbreaking articles. He dusted off old copies of the
    AfricaNow
    > and New African magazines from his drawers and handed them to me. His
    wish
    > was to open up my mind to the didactic writings of Peter Enahoro,Abdu
    Rahman
    > Babu and Phillip Ochieng,three great African columnists who made great
    > strides on Africa's journalistic scene in the 1970s and 80s. In those
    > days,Jawo was already writing in the opinion pages of these magazines.
    His