Date:         Thu, 26 Aug 1999 14:20:56 EDT
Sender:       The Gambia and related-issues mailing list
From:         [log in to unmask]
Subject:      Re: ACHEBE RETURNS HOME:

Weyeh,
Thanks for that info. I used to think that Achebe has been away since the
Biafra. May be I have to find out more on that.
Anyway, to come back to the issue of hoping to see all other military
dictators taking examples form Nigeria, might be too early to say. Nigeria at
the moment is still witnessing the most corrupt legal political system. Just
recently, their Houses of congress and senate was trying to furnish their
homes with $35,000.00 and $25,000.00. And what was so disappointing about
this was they were trying to justify this as a necessity for being the
"highest ranked citizens" as a lady Senator said in a BBC interview.
I only hope that Nigeria learns from her mistakes first before she becomes an
exemplary to any African nation. They still have a long way to
Keep up the good work and extend my regards to the whole family.

Ousman Bojang.