The Daily Observer Published at 12:00pm G.M.T 08/18/99

      Gamcotrap reacts to Imam Fatty

     The women's advocacy group on harmful traditional practices affecting women and children, Gamcotrap,  yesterday, reacted to the statement attributed to the vocal imam of State House mosque, Abdoulie Fatty,  describing women activists as "infidels who are subverting Islam."

      Mary Small, Gamcotrap's coordinator told the Daily Observer that some Islamic scholars felt threatened by the messages to empower women. She denied any foreign power bankrolling the organisation adding that they are above such deals.

      Ms Small said the Holy Qur'an has been translated into various languages including English and that,"it has been realised that, in fact, there is nothing like religious injunction particularly on female genital mutilation," she claimed.

      Ms Small said their FGM campaign "is going on in full force," adding that recently they met Islamic scholars in the Central River Division to discuss the issue.

      She said that the meeting was successful. She said that religious people play an important role in the society and as such, are Gamcotrap's target. "They are the first point of contact by women and as a result we can't leave them behind," she said, stressing, "we are neither forcing nor opposing anyone. We only stress on information sharing and open dialogue."

      Ms Small revealed that in their endeavour to empower women, Gamcotrap is now operating a girls' education project aimed at sponsoring girls in primary and secondary schools, including university.

      The issue of female circumcision, which came to  be popularly known as female genital mutilation and is now referred to in politically correct parlance as female genital cutting,  is banned from being discussed over government-controlled media.  The topic elicits strong reaction from people advocating its banning as a health hazard and those promoting its continuation as a respectable social tradition..