From: [log in to unmask]
Full-name: ASilla5319
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 18:12:14 EDT
Subject: Fwd: Extra regulations
To: [log in to unmask]

--part2_bb0bfa9c.2501a1be_boundary

From: [log in to unmask]
Full-name: ASilla5319
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 19:12:14 EDT
Subject: Re: Extra regulations
To: [log in to unmask]

Brother Habib,

Let me for a moment bet to defer with you on the supposed creation of a
Quality Control System, a means of checks and balances for both the Customs
Department (Government) on one hand, and the Businessmen (Consumers) on the
other.  I think to say the least, it is a bit naive from my point of view
(correct me if I am wrong) to lay the blame squarely for the funds being
pilferred from import/export duties on the door steps of Custom Officials.  I
made this deduction from your statement that Government should instead employ
"HONEST" officers as if that will solve the problem on its own.  My point is
this,  both the Businessmen and Custom Officers are into these frauds of
under-valuing these proforma invoice prices and altering the relevant
information as to quality and quantity to their advantage.  So as envisaged
by Government in establishing BIVAC and until the contrary is proven, I think
the raison d'etre sounds economically prudent, why not give it a shot.  Let
me also say at this point that, for a start the experience for all and sundry
will be excruciating and this is no under statement, for we are moving from
what we already know to the unknown and as usual half the time, human beings
in general and Gambians in particular are hesistant to boldly and decisively
accept change until the benefits start dripping in.  All I am saying is, give
it a try and see, if it did not work or bear the desired fruits we can always
flexibility, agility and adaptability which are few uncompromising beauties
and good qualities of being Human.  It is worth reiterating here that this is
a layman's analysis and it may not necessarily hold grounds.

As to the start date of operation, this I think will take effect on October
1st, 1999; which coming to your question about grace period would lend us
sometime to get prepared.

To conclude, thanks as always for this thought provoking topic, one thing is
manifestly clear now a days, the ego of liberty, popular participation and
freedom of expression are spreading their proud wings and tentacles over the
people of Gambia.  Therefore, take it or leave it, this is very
fundamental/crucial to the success of our Gvernment back home.

God bless us all in this struggle.

Au voire,
OB.

--part2_bb0bfa9c.2501a1be_boundary--