I will like our lawyers to help out on this too. THis is the craziest i have ever heard of.

The Struggle Continues!!
Ndey Jobarteh

-----Original Message-----
From: Bamba Laye <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 25 September 1999 04:07
Subject: Question????

Help me on this one folks. does Gambia law allow trial of a person while they are intoxicated?

Abdoulie Jallow

Fastest legal case in The Gambia?

In an unprecedented case, one Abdoulie Jallow, 30, a Guinean born taxi driver was on Wednesday arrested, charged, convicted and sentenced to eight years in jail or to pay a fine of D22,500 for drinking and driving, within two hours of committing the offence.

The particulars of offence states that "Mr Jallow, on Wednesday September 22, at around 8-9 am drove a mercedes benz registered number KM 2406 in a manner dangerous to the public; that on the same day, he failed to stop his vehicle when required by a police officer in uniform contrary to the Motor Vehicle Traffic Act."

When the charges were read to him in court, he pleaded guilty to both counts. On count one, Jallow was sentenced to a five year prison term or a fine of  D20,000, and on count two, he got three years or a D2,500 fine.The prison terms are to run concurrently.

In his plea for mercy, Mr Jallow who was still drunk, lamented: "I am a stranger in The Gambia.  I do not know the Gambian laws.  Please forgive me."Our reporter sighted Jallow snoring heavily at the mobile traffic unit offices after the sentence was passed.

The case was presided over by Magistrate HC Roche of the Kanifing Court. The prosecution officer was First Class Corporal Baldeh..

Source: Weekend Observer 09/24/99