Date: Sat, 02 Oct 1999 02:05:26 -0400
From: "Mauri' Saalakhan" <[log in to unmask]>
To: NadirFahim <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: URGENT ALERT

     "The believers, men and women, are protectors of one another. They
enjoin what is just, and forbid what is evil..."

Dear Muslims:
    My column in the October/November issue of The Washington Report On
Middle East Affairs - which should be out now under the "Islam In
America" caption - is titled: "The Real Challenge Facing Muslims in
America."
    In this particular commentary, I had to do something that I truly
didn't enjoy doing, and that is criticize us. I did this in the spirit
of Allah's command: "O you who believe, stand firmly for justice as
witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves...," and in the spirit of
the first Rashidun Caliph's admonition in his inaugural address: "If I
do well in my job, help me. If I do wrong, redress me."
    I also do this with the understanding that to do less undermines our
integrity as a faith community. If we cannot muster the wherewithal to
hold ourselves publicly accountable (when necessary) then we sacrifice
the moral authority to criticize and demand rectitude of anyone else.
    One of the most important criticisms (which will no doubt generate
some discussion, debate, and hopefully, some deep reflection and
meaningful steps toward correction and accountability) is the following:
"Over the past year, I have seen Muslims in America coming to the
defense of a U.S. presidency  in moral and political crisis (and with
massive amounts of Muslim blood on its hands!), while support given
Muslim Political Prisoners and their families has paled in comparison;
for some its been totally non-existent. There have been whispering
campaigns against certain political prisoners to chill the prospect of
any meaningful support coming to them from within Arab and Muslim
circles. I know this to be the case with Anwar Haddam, and I strongly
believe this to also be the case with Nasser Ahmed, Mazen Al-Najjar, and
other like-minded political detainees..."
    No doubt, this communiqe' will generate an outcry and a backlash
aimed toward me. So be it. The real question is, is this the truth? I
sincerely believe that it is. Some would argue, didn't a number of
groups just hold a demonstration a week ago Friday to draw attention to
the "secret evidence" issue? Indeed they did, but in this observer's
opinion it was more of a face-saving device on behalf of most of the
organizers. (In a later communique' I will detail why it is I've come to
this conclusion.)  But for the sake of time, I'm going to get to the
point of this particular communique.'
    Recently, in my presence, and in the presence of a number of
predominantly New York area Imams, the head of the New York office of a
Major Muslim Organization revealed the part that he's been playing in
the aforementioned "whispering campaign," by stating "some" of the
brothers being held were not worthy of our support. When I questioned
this leader about the discussion that he and I had had approximately 2
to 3 weeks earlier about one of the brothers in question, and reminded
him of the "evidence" that he was supposed to provide me with to
substantiate his accusations; his response was that he had "given it to
Imam Siraj [Wahhaj]." Not to me, as I thought we had agreed. I have yet
to see this evidence.
    Again this is the head of the New York office of one of the Majors!
(And I should add, one of those who came out strongly critical of what
Kabbani had done at the State Department.) If this were just an isolated
incident, it wouldn't be so serious; but I know that it isn't, and I
know that this individual is not alone!
    I'm going to conclude this with a final observation and a request.
Our political prisoners should be receiving our total support, and they
are not. It's bad enough that they are forced to contend with a powerful
government (with seemingly unlimited resources) employing such unfair,
un-democratic, and un-constitutional devices as secret evidence;
compelled to try to defend themselves against accusations and alleged
evidence that they cannot see. This is bad enough. But when there are
persons and organizations (who should be on the front line of their
defense) withholding their support and/or surreptiously engaging in
false and malicious slander that these prisoners are in no position to
defend themselves against - well this is horrendous! I think it fitting
to refer to what Allah (swt) has said on such matters: "Those who
slander those believers who give of themselves freely to deeds of
charity, as well as such as can find nothing to give except the fruits
of their labor - and throw ridicule on them - Allah will throw back
their ridicule, and they [the slanderers] will have a grievous penalty."
(Tauba 9:79)
    Now for the request. It is now after midnight (Saturday morning).
Insha'Allah, later today, CAIR will have it fundraising dinner. No
doubt, there will be your customary array of "VIPs." Among them will be
heads of Arab and Muslim organizations. For those of you who will be
attending, it would be the right thing to ask each of these leaders what
thier individual and organizational position is on the Muslim political
prisoners being held in the U.S. on "secret evidence." And don't let
them off easy. Ask them specifically: (1) what they are doing to address
this issue? (2) And whether or not they have a problem with any of these
prisoners who are detained? (And if you really want to pin them down,
get them to respond to the prisoners by name - beginning with Anwar
Haddam.)   And if you, like me, don't attend this particular fundraiser,
call or send a message next week to each organization and/or prominent
Muslim leader requesting a response to each of the above. One way or
another they've got to get the message, that the way things have been
has definately got to change!
wa'alaikum as salaam wa rahmatullah.
El-Hajj Mauri' Saalakhan

p.s. I've requested a meeting with the New York City Majlis, for me and
the leader in question to make our respective cases Islamically and
resolve this issue Islamically once and for all. If this is done soon,
that will settle it for me; if it isn't, you will hear from me again on
this specific issue; only the next time I'll be naming names.