The Gambia's population is estimated at 1,300,000 (GambiaNews.com web site). Using my pocket calculator and dividing total area of the country, 1,114,700 hectares by the population gives me 0.86 ha per person, about the size of a football pitch. That is if some people live in the river as our "boat people". The River Gambia, its tributaries and the mangroves that protect them take up 160,000 ha. The protected forests and wildlife parks occupy about 100,000 ha. That leave us with no more than 860,000 ha to build our cities, villages, schools, military camps, hospitals, churches, mosques and farms. Setting aside 10% for roads, factories, hotels, airports, power stations and waste dumps, and another 5% for the commercial estates,each Gambian living would get no more than 0.5 ha, the size of 2 basketball courts!

Malanding S. Jaiteh