NIA picks up Jawara's step-son

A son of ex-president Sir Dawda Jawara was recently picked up by NIA officials from his home in Brikama and taken to Banjul for questioning.

According to reliable sources, Tombong Jawara, a step-son of the former president was picked-up in connection with his use of a mobile phone, which it is alleged, he was using to correspond with Jawara.

According to family members, five men in plain clothes who identified themselves as NIA officials arrested Tombong. His house was reportedly searched before he was taken away to NIA headquarters. A source said Tombong initially refused to go to NIA headquarters, but was persuaded by family members and neighbours.

Speaking to The Independent immediately after his release, Tombong explained that he spent up to four hours in detention.  He confirmed that his arrest was in connection with a mobile phone, though he said he was not told what wrong he had committed.

'When the NIA came to my house, they asked me if I had a mobile phone or if somebody had ever given me one but I answered in the negative,' he said.

Tombong said the NIA never mentioned the name of Sir Dawda Jawara during the questioning.