0100,0100,0100Asalamu alaikum G-L, Alhamdullila,Ramadan Mubarrak!(Peace be with you all). I am starting with the intention of fasting this Ramadan (InshaAllah) The intention: Allah instructs in the Qur àn: "And they are ordained nothing else than to serve Allah, keeping religion pure for Him." The Prophet, upon whom be peace,said:"Actions are judged according to the intention behind them, and for everyone is what he/she intended." The intention must be made before fajr and during every night of Ramadan. The fast of Ramadan,according to the Qur àn,sunneh and consensus,is obligatory. The evidence from the Qur àn consists of the following two verse: "O you who believe,fasting is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for the people before you in order for you to gain Godconsciousness and ,"...The month of Ramadan,during which the Qur àn was revealed,a guidance for mankind,and clear proofs of the guidance and the criterion;and whoever of you is resident,let him/her fast the month"(al-Baqarah:185). The whole Muslim nation agrees that the fast of Ramadan is obligatory. It is one of the pillars of Islam,and if one disputes this, he /she cannot be called a Muslim. The Virtues of Fasting: Abu Hurairah reported the Messanger of Allah!,upon whom be peace,saying: "Allah said: Every action of the son of Adam is for him except fasting,for that is solely for Me. I give the reward for it.The fast is a shield. If one is fasting,he/she should not use foul language, raise his voice,or behave foolishly. If someone reviles him/her or want to fight with him/her,he/she should say;I am fasting,twice. By the one in whose hand is the soul of Muhammad,(PBUH)the (bad) breath of the one who is fasting is better in the sight of Allah on the Day of Resurrection than the smell of musk.The one who is fasting is happy at two times: When he/she breaks his/her fast, he/she is happy with it,and when he/she meets his/her Lord,he/she will be happy that he/she has fasted." This is related by Ahmad,Muslim,and an-Nasa`i.A similar version was recorded by al-Bukhari and Abu Dawud,but with the following addition: "He leaves his/her food,drink,and desires for My sake. His/her fasting is for Me,...I will give the reward for it,and for every good deed,he/she will receive ten similar to it." Abdullah ibn `Amr reported that the Messenger of Allah,upon whom be peace,said: "The fast and the Qur àn are two intercessors for the servant of Allah on the Day of Resurrection.The fast will say: "O Lord,I prevented him/her from his/her food and desires during the day.Let me intercede for him/her; The Qur àn will say: I prevented him/her from sleeping at night.Let me intercede for him/her. And their intercession will be accepted". This is related by Ahmad, an-Nasa`i,and al-Baihaqi. `Arfajah testifies to this:"We were with `Utbah ibn Farqad while he was discussing Ramadan.A companion of the prophet entered upon the scene.when `utbah saw him,he became shy and stopped talking. The companion spoke about Ramadan, saying:`I heard the Messenger of Allah say during Ramadan:"The gates of Hell are closed, the gates of Paradise are opened,and the devils are in chains.An angel calls out: `O you who intened to do good deeds,have glad tidings. `O you who intend to do evil,refrain, until Ramadan is completed.`" Abu Hurairah reported that the prophet, upon whom be peace,said: "Whoever fast the month of Ramadan with faith and seeks Allah`s pleasure and reward will have his /her previous sins forgiven." This hadith is related by Ahmad and the compilers of the sunan. May Allah! The Almighty accept our fasting and forgive us our sins. O Allah! we beseech You through (the medium of) Your Mercy which encompasses all things, and through(the medium of) Your Might which overpowers all things, to which all things submit and compared to which all things are humble, and through (the medium of) Your power through which You hast conquered all things, and through (the medium of) Your Greatness against which notting can stand up (or can rise), and through (the medium of) Your Grandeur which prevails upon all things, and through (the medium of) Your Own self which will continue existing when all things will pass away (cease to exist), and through (the medium of) Your names (attributes) which manifest Your power over all things, and through (the medium of) Your Knowledge which pervades all things, `O Thou (who are) the Light, `O Thou (who are the most Holy) `O Thou who existeth before the foremost things (from time without beginning), `O Thou who shalt exist after the last things will cease to exist (Thou art Eternal-no beginning and no end.) `O our Lord! forgive us such sins as would disgrace virtue; `O our Lord! forgive us such sins as would bring down retribution (from the Heavens); `O our Lord! forgive us such sins as would change prosperity and happyness (into afflictions and sorrows); `O our Lord! forgive us such sins as would intercept our invocations and prayers; `O our Lord! forgive us our sins as would suppress hope; `O our Lord! forgive us our sins as would bring down afflictions; `O our Lord! forgive all the sins that we have committed and all the vices that we are guilty of.....Ameen!!!!! Alahumasalli alaah Saidina Muhammadin wa alaah ali Muhammadin Samba Goddard (Pulo) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html ----------------------------------------------------------------------------