Assalaamu alaikum

Alhamdulillah and we continue our lessons with Shaickh al-Albaani (raheemahullah). He wrote:

The Second Rak'ah

"When he (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) got up for the second rak'ah, he would commence with All Praise be to Allaah (Faatihah 1:1), without pausing."170

He would perform this rak'ah exactly as he performed the first, except that he would make it shorter than the first, as before.

The Obligation of Reciting Soorah al-Faatihah in every Rak'ah

He ordered "the one who prayed badly" to recite al-Faatihah in every rak'ah, when he said to him after ordering him to recite it in the first rak'ah171, then do that throughout your prayer172 (in one narration: in every rak'ah).173 He also used to say, There is recitation in every rak'ah.174

The First Tashahhud

Next, he (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) would sit for tashahhud after finishing the second rak'ah. In a two-rak'ah prayer such as Fajr, "he would sit muftarishan"175, as he used to sit between the two sajdahs, and "he would sit in the first tashahhud similarly"176 in a three- or four-rak'ah prayer. [see diagram - qss]

He also ordered "the one who prayed badly" thus, saying to him, When you sit in the middle of the prayer, then be calm, spread your left thigh and perform tashahhud.177

Abu Hurairah (radi Allaahu 'anhu) said, "My friend (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) forbade me from squatting (iq'aa') like a dog"178; in another hadeeth, "he used to forbid the squatting of the devil."179

"When he sat in tashahhud, he would place his right palm on his right thigh (in one narration: knee), and his left palm on his left thigh (in one narration: knee, spreading it upon it)"180; and "he would put the end of his right elbow on his right thigh."181

Also, "he forbade a man who was sitting in prayer resting on his left hand, and said: Verily, that is the prayer of the Jews182; in one wording, Do not sit like this, for indeed this is the way of sitting of those who are punished183; in another hadeeth, It is the sitting posture of those who incurred (Allaah's) anger.184

Moving the Finger in Tashahhud

"He (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) would spread his left palm on his left knee, clench all the fingers of his right hand, point with the finger adjacent to the thumb towards the qiblah, and fix his sight on it (i.e. the finger)."185

Also, "when he pointed with his finger, he would put his thumb on his middle finger"186, and sometimes "he would make a circle with these two."187

"When he raised his finger, he would move it, supplicating with it"188, and he used to say, "It is surely more powerful against the devil than iron, meaning the forefinger."189

Also, "the Companions of the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) used to remind each other, that is, about pointing with the finger when supplicating."190

Once, "he saw a man supplicating with two fingers, so he said, "Make it one, [make it one,]" and indicated with his forefinger."191

"He (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) would do this in both tashahhuds."192

The Obligation of the First Tashahhud, & theValidity of Supplication during it

"He (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) would recite the Tahiyyah after every two rak'ahs"193; "the first thing he would say in this sitting would be: All compliments be to Allaah."194

"When he forgot to perform the tashahhud after the first two rak'ahs, he would prostrate (twice) for forgetfulness."195

He used to order them to perform tashahhud, saying, When you sit after every two rak'ahs, then say: All compliments ... and then each of you should select the supplication he likes best and supplicate Allaah, Mighty and Sublime, [with it]196; in another version: Say, All compliments ... in every sitting197, and he also ordered "the one who prayed badly" to do so, as has been mentioned.

"He (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) would teach them the tashahhud the way he taught them Soorahs of the Qur'aan"198, and "the Sunnah is to say it quietly."199

The Manner of Tashahhud

He taught several ways of tashahhud:
  1. The tashahhud of Ibn Mas'ood, who said, "The Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) taught me the tashahhud, [with] my palm between his palms, the way he taught me Soorahs of the Qur'aan:
    Attahiyaatu lillahi wa salawaatu wa tayyibaatu assalaamu alayka ayyuhannabiyyu wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhhu assalaamu alayna wa ala ibadallahi saliheen. Ashhadu an laa ilaha illalah wa ashadu anna Muhammadan abduhu wa rasuluh.
    All compliments200, prayers201 and pure words202 are due to Allaah. Peace203 be on you, O Prophet, and also the mercy of Allaah and His blessings204. Peace be on us, and on the righteous slaves of Allaah. [For when one says that, it includes every righteous slave in the heaven and the earth.] I bear witness that none has the right to be worshipped except Allaah, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His slave and messenger.

    [This was while he was among us, but after he was taken, we would say:
    Assalaamu ala Nabiyyi
    [Peace be on the Prophet]."205
  2. The tashahhud of Ibn 'Abbaas: "The Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) used to teach us the tashahhud the way he taught us [soorahs of] the Qur'aan; he used to say,
    Attahiyaatul mubarakatu assalawaatu attayyibaatu lillahi assalaamu alayka ayyuhannabiyyu warahmatullahi wa barakatuh. Assalaamu alaina wa ala ibaadallahi saliheen. Ashhad anla illaha illalah wa ashadu anna Muhammadan rasulullah
    All compliments, blessed words, prayers, pure words are due to Allaah. Peace be on you, O Prophet, and also the mercy of Allaah and His blessings. Peace be on us and on the righteous slaves of Allaah. I bear witness that none has the right to be worshipped except Allaah, and [I bear witness] that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allaah (in one narration: ... is His slave and messenger)."206
  3. The tashahhud of Ibn 'Umar, who reported the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) as saying in the tashahhud:
    Attihiyatulillah wa salawaatu wa tayyibaatu, assalamu alayka ayyuhannabiyyu warahmatullahi wabarakaatuh assalaamu alayna wa ala ibaadallahi saliheen. Ashhadu anla ilaha illa lah wahdahu lashareekala wa ashhadu anna Muhammaddan abduhu warasuluh.
    All compliments, prayers and good words are due to Allaah. Peace be on you, O Prophet, and also the mercy of Allaah - Ibn 'Umar said, "I add:"207 ... and His blessings. - Peace be on us and on the righteous slaves of Allaah. I bear witness that none has the right to be worshipped except Allaah - Ibn 'Umar said, "I add:"208 ... alone, He has no partner, - and I bear witness that Muhammad is His slave and messenger.209