CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
lilian15 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 00:01:14 -0000

Well I am diabetic and I have found since I keep my carbohydrates to a
fairly low number my blood sugar has gone down dramatically.   Mine was also
very high before I changed my way of eating.

I personally would no longer eat a banana with rice things.   That is really
overdoing the carbohydrates and not enough protein.   For me a better choice
is perhaps an egg with some bacon and a tomato and mushrooms.   I would not
have any bread or cereal or anything else with that.

Lunch would be say a tuna or cottage cheese salad, but for me I would not be
having any potatoes or bread with that.  Might have a sugarless jelly
afterwards.

If I need a snack it would be of an ounce of cheese with a bit of cucumber
or tomato, or maybe a few (not a bagful) of nuts.  I would have a natural
yoghurt (not a fruit one as they are very high in carbs and sugar).

If I need a fruity sweet type yoghurt, I get a natural one, add a few
defrosted berries and some sweetener.

Dinner maybe say chicken with runner beans and a few carrots (not too many
as they also have the potential to raise the blood sugar).

I personally do not eat potatoes, rice, cereal, corn, bread, beans, lentils
or any high carbohydrate foods, as the quantities allowed of these things is
so low, its not worth bothering about, in my opinion.

I also keep fruit to a very very minimum as things like apples, pears and
oranges and especially bananas have a very high sugar content.

However I still have to consider the nutritional aspect of things and if I
do have any its not all in one day and I keep the portions to very minimal.

For example if I am going to have a Satsuma I will have it with my meal and
cut down on something else carbohydrate.

Its a lot of juggling but it has proved to be worth it to me as my hb1c was
averaging 13 and now it is averaging 7 (that's the English count).  But 13
was considered too high.  The normal is between 4 - 8, so it was well worth
it for me.

A very good book to read is Dr. Bernstein's diabetic solution.  That's what
set me on this road.

Lilian