CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rosalie West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 13:16:23 EST

I think it's a special problem if you are celiac and diabetic, in that high
carbohydrate foods give most of us problems.  Most of the gluten-free breads
I've come across (recipes mostly) are made with lots of refined starches.  I
finally decided on a bread I can buy locally, made of rice and almost or rice
and pecan flour.  It's small and heavy, but the taste is acceptable.  I
usually have one slice in the a.m. as part of my breakfast.  Occasionally
I'll have it as a sandwich (infrequently).  It's a poor substitute for wheat
breat as far as taste a nd texture, but better than most of the substitutes.
Just can't do high carb foods; they REALLY mess me up!

Best regards,

Rosalie