CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
lilian15 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 10:03:07 -0000

To get my blood sugar under control (within 2 days)  I drastically
reducing my carbohydrates.  They were about to put me on insulin, now
there is no need to.  It is not easy to cut out bread, rice, potatoes,
pasta, sweetcorn, peas, etc. but it is well worth it in the end.

I am sure you do not want to start with insulin if you don't have to.

I tried this supposedly for a couple of weeks last year just to see what
would happen.  My blood sugar improved immediately, but since having
done it for a year the latest average reading (2 weeks ago) was 6.3.
Last year before I started this it was averaging 15.

I do not know about celiac, but gluten is in bread, so there will be no
gluten eaten there either.

In fact I do not eat anything which contains sugar and flour (white or
brown).  Also of course that includes high sugar vegetables and fruits.
Also the lower the fat, the higher the carbohydrates.  I have at least 2
eggs a day, double cream and butter.  But also omega 3 oils and fish.

My last blood test two weeks ago showed that my cholesterol had reduced
from 5.4 to 4.9, as I said my average blood sugar over the past 3 month
was 6.3.  A good book to read would be Dr. Bernsteins diabetic solution.

Lilian

  I don't know where to begin, but with blood sugars that high, I highly
  recommend taking some form of insulin to get the sugars under control.