CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Jordan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 12:13:46 EST

Mike,  I just read your letter, and I don't know much about Type 2 diabetes,
which it sounds like you are being treated for.  Did the doctors rule out the
possibility of you having Type 1 diabetes?  In the early onset of Type 1,
your pancreas can still produce a small amount of insullin. One of my sons
has both diabetes and Celiac.  After his initial diagnosis of Type 1, and
after being on insulin in the hospital, he did not need much insulin for the
next year because of the "honeymoon phase".  That is when the body is still
producing some insulin, but eventually it does stop.

   I MAY BE WAY OFF BASE , but your age, and weight, and the fact that the
medicines you are taking do not seem to be helping your blood sugar levels
makes me wonder if you do have type 1.  Eventually, my son with diabetes
developed all sorts of symptoms of        Celiac, which we never heard of,
and started giving him more breads to replace the dairy in his diet in case
of lactose intolerance.  That increase in bread actually was a life saver,
because it sped up diagnosis of Celiac because he was losing his weight and
muscle mass very rapidly. The gluten free diet was an immediate turn around
for his health.  I agree with some of the others who have written to you
about needing further testing for Celiac, and keeping up the gluten intake
until you get tested.

     I don't know if I am being of help to you, or am just worrying you. That
is not my intent.

Good luck,
Mary,   MJORDAN672@aolcom