SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE Archives

Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture

SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jul 2000 13:13:58 +1200
>I have a slight objection to your ludicrous prize - namely that A.
>Sokal is and was an idiot.
>

>regards
>
>sdv

        That msg is worse than useless.  It is a waste of time for all of
us who opened it hoping to get some ideas.
        All it does is to assert, in the most childish way, that the writer
'Steve' dislikes Sokal.  No shred of fact or reasoning is offered.  We get
no clue of any reasons why anyone would dislike Sokal.

        Indeed, the bald statement in itself is obviously insincere.
However one may rank that state university in NY, it has never been accused
of appointing to the rank of professor, and maintaining in that position,
an idiot.
        We are left guessing that 'Steve' finds Sokal's attack on
postmodernism unanswerable.  I can understand that; but why bother us with
this mode of saying it?

-
Robt Mann
Mulgoon Professor emeritus of Environmental Studies, U of Auckland
consultant stirrer & motorcyclist
P O Box 28878, Remuera, Auckland 1005, New Zealand  (9) 524 2949