CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rosalie West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 16:01:03 EST

For those of you on a celiac diet, it should be noted that the grain items
such as breads, etc., if any, that you eat are higher in carbohydrates than
the same items made with wheat.  This could affect the blood sugars of a
diabetic who has not previously been eating such high carb grain items.  It
sure is a problem for those of us who use carbohydrate restriction to manage
our diabetes, as I do.  I've been working on a bread recipe using brown rice,
amaranth, and soy flour, all of which are non-gluten and I've come up with a
real tasty recipe but the bread tends to have a slightly sticky texture (no,
it's not undercooked).  Right now I have a request in to Red Star Yeast's
website to try to find out which ingredient is the problem, but haven't heard
back yet.  I've been trying to tell the gluten-free product vendors that I
know of how important it is to develop bread products that are lower
carbohydrate, but no one has taken note of that so far.

There all kinds of sites on the web re gluten-free issues.  I like to use the
Google.com search engine.  You will find lots.  Good luck!