CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Burgess Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 21:39:25 -0700

Hi all,

I'm Dana and my 15 yr old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes this
summer and CD this fall. I've sure learned a lot since then! Jackie, if
you can get hold of Bette Hagman's book 'The Gluten-free Gormet Bakes
Bread' she has a comparison of all the different flours (well maybe not
all but lots) in one of the beginning chapters. It compares carbs,
protein, fat, fibre and trace elements. The carbs actually don't vary
too much. Wheat is 76% and the range for the other flours is between 59
and 80 except for soy which is 30 and tapioca which is 99. Since I
usually use a mixture it is really hard to get the exact carb count for
the GF bread I make. Usually I just weigh out 30 grams and go with that
as 1 starch. So far it seems to be working. Hope that helps some. The
recipes in that book are really good and include nutritional info. My
kids loved the cinnamon buns! Let us know how it goes with Rebecca.
Dana