CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lyndy Latta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 02:38:07 EST

Ginny -- I'm not sure whether you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes.  My
daughter (age 10) was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 3 months ago . . .
Our method for treating lows is this:  Check blood sugar (glucose)level.
If less than 80, then we treat the low with a "quick" sugar such as
fruit juice or glucose tablets in amounts that have a total of 15-18
grams of carbohydrates. We re-check her blood glucose level in about 10
minutes.  A 4 oz. juice box will reliably increase her blood sugar level
by 40 points in that 10 minutes -- so if it's a "low" low (under 60), we
usually give her more juice (maybe 6 oz.).  Once we get her sugar levels
up to at least 90, but preferably over 100 at night time, we give her a
snack containing both carbohydrates and protein -- such as cheese and
crackers, peanut butter & crackers, or a half a cup of ice cream -- and
containing 15-30 grams of carbs (depending how much insulin we think is
still left in her system).  This may or may not be an appropr! iate
treatment in your case.  I suggest talking to your CDE for guidance on
dealing with with lows, we've foundour CDE (certified diabetes educator)
is much more helpful than an MD in terms daily care issues.  I will also
add that I've heard from lots of adult diabetics who have the same
problem with "over feeding" lows because they're so hungry & stressed
after having one. It helps to have a fixed method of treating them and a
set snack item/amount always on hand . .. Good luck to you!

Lyndy