THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Greg De Guzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Aug 2003 06:23:18 +0800

Paralysis".
> This is caused by the Hyperthyroidism and often found as a symptom in men.
> Studies have associated this condition to be ethnically prevalent among
> Asian men although does not rule out appearance in other ethnic groups.
>
> Drs' main concern during an attack is to correct the electrolyte imbalance
> (the hypokalemia-- low potassium). Potassium levels play major roles in
the
> body, especially contractility of muscles-- including that of the heart.
>
> In one study, the use of "Propranolol", a beta-blocker that is commonly
used
> in controlling the fast heart rate of hyperthyroids, is recommended as a
> very good initial management option during an hypokalemic paralysis
> emergency before instituting potassium replacement. The reason has to do
> with the flow of the calcium between the intra and extra-cellular
> compartments, in which, if potassium supplementation is given ahead of the
> beta-blocker, the tendency is to have a "rebound effect" causing an even
> deteriorated condition. This could be what your boyfriend is describing as
> unresponsiveness to the treatment.
>
> Good luck..
>
> Greg

                      Snip, Please
If you "Reply" to a message, and *you* fail to erase or delete
 the previous message, *your* message cannot be distributed.

Why not ask a question? If we're not currently talking about
what *you* want to hear about, ask about another topic! Or
make a statement. To be prepared, you might want to search
the Thyroid Archives http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html
to see what has been said before about any thyroid-related topic.