THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 20:29:55 -0400
Zyban used to be
> used for stopping smoking until the medical establishment found out it is
> good weight loss med and anti-depressant.  I am taking one 75mg pill twice
> a day and that dosage will be doubled in about another month.

Bupropion  was first approved by the FDA as an antidepressant and marketed
under the tradename Wellbutrin.  It's structurally related to
phenylethylamine neurotransmitters, and acts as a CNS stimulant.  Unlike
tricyclic antidepressants and the new generation antidepressants, it only
weakly inhibits serotonin and norepinephrine uptake.  Later  FDA approved
bupropion for smoking cessation, and marketed under the tradename Zyban.
Wellbutrin and Zyban are two tradenames for the same drug bupropion.

FDA has never approved bupropion for weight loss, though any medication can
be prescribed off label.  Because of its CNS stimulant effect, bupropion
must be used carefully because of the risk of CNS seizures.

  Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - <http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid>
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]