THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joan McPhee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 23:18:55 -0600
on 4/16/02 5:49 AM, Michelle Shevy at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Additionally, I have a friend that is Hypo.  She exercises for hours a day,
> then walks for miles, eats fruit, belongs to three fitness clubs, has her
> own home gym, belongs to Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers and the most she
> has lost on her yearly January weight loss resolution is 11 pounds until
> she is too tired to go any further.  She then gains back more than the year
> before.  So don't feel badly about how hard you have been trying.
~~~~~

You say "until she is too tired to go any further".

Your friend is a classic example of the yo-yo effect.  Caloric intake is
tied to the metabolic set point.  When dieting with a much lower calorie
level, the metabolic set point is lowered.  Subsequent increased caloric
intake is regarded by the body as "excess" and results in weight gain.

Cutting calories dramatically makes the body go into 'starvation mode'.  No
doubt exercising helps limit subsequent weight gain, but rigorous exercise
results in fatigue if the body is not getting enough fuel.

And chronic fatigue and possibly chronic illness sets in because not enough
calories are being taken in to maintain health and promote healing.

Eating frequently (every 2 hours) can help.  And keeping in mind that
balance is what we strive for, it does seem that hours of exercise each day
are excessive.  A more moderate approach may reduce fatigue.

You don't mention whether your friend is taking thyroid hormone replacement,
but it is also possible that she is not utilizing it or not getting enough.

Joan McPhee, not an M.D.
mailto:[log in to unmask]

  Thyroid Welcome Message (Instructions) Always Available
 Anyone can obtain a fresh, new copy of the Thyroid Welcome
 message at any time (24/7) by sending an e-mail message
 saying only "get Thyroid Welcome" (remove quotes) to our
 sleepless robot at <[log in to unmask]>. Its free.