THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hilary Willsher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 May 2002 09:55:21 +0100
From: "Jill Matthews" <[log in to unmask]>

>When I asked my GP about medication including T3 (like your Armour in
the US) he told me that it was only indicated for administration in
cases of coma and that there was no prescribable medication including
it in this country!<

T3 is available in the UK - it's called 'liothyronine sodium', but
you're absolutely right, GPs seem to be taught that it's only for use
in myxoedema coma, or for severe or acute hypothyroidism, because of
its rapid effects. It's also considerably more expensive than
thyroxine - another reason the National Health Service doesn't
encourage its use!

Amazingly, Armour desiccated thyroid is also (theoretically!)
available in this country - on National Health Service prescription,
too, although it has
to be imported specially and I haven't seen it prescribed for over 30
years! It's not listed in the British National Formulary, which is the
'bible' of most GPs - those who are old enough to remember desiccated
thyroid think of it as an old-fashioned treatment, which has been
replaced by the more 'reliable' sodium thyroxine.Most medical
textbooks in the UK state that preparations of animal thyroid
(i.e.Armour) contain 'variable amounts of hormone and consequently
give poor control'.  I think they've got a lot to learn!!

Hilary Willsher

 If you "Reply" to a message, and *you* fail to erase or delete
  the previous message, *your* message may not be distributed.

Question not answered on Thyriod? Check the Thyroid Archives:
  http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
 and ask again!