CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 16:39:50 -0700
Perhaps you are being disingenuous? But on the off-chance that you're not, "pom" is Australian slang for the English. As in "whinging pom", or the more affectionate "pommy bastard".

I have no idea of the derivation of the word, perhaps it was "prisoners of mother England" or something of the sort? Might even be a product of the convict era?

My charming American spelling checker informs me that there is no such word as "whinge" or "whinging" in the American vocabulary either (gracious that is an impoverished vernacular.) "Complain" is a near translation.

That should be good for another bottle of plonk one day. ;-)

Bill Bartlett
Bracknell Tas