THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 18:03:04 -0500
What you describe sounds exactly like what happened to me. The first doc
that diagnosed me put me on Lavoxyl (T4 only) because my T4 was all that
was low. I wasn't doing great before that, but after that, I just really
went into the dirt. I could not sleep at all. I was getting 2 hours sleep
total for weeks. My stamina went to zero. I used to walk 3-1/2 to 4 miles a
day and after treatment, around the house was too much. Worst of all going
around the house or anything like a phone conversation with a friend would
give me an almost totally sleepless night. I tried to talk to my doc, but
she refused to call me back or anything. It was the worst thing I have ever
experienced. I fired her. The whole thing has thrown me into menopause.

I got BioThro
id illegally from the UK and switched to that. I felt better,
but the sleep was still terrible and my stamina was still like a wet
tissue. Most of the sleep thing and the stamina thing have turned out to be
the adrenal fatigue that I had that was not treated! It says in all those
thyroid medication's data sheets that adrenal fatigue MUST be treated at
the same time of, or before thyroid treatment if the patient is suffering
from it. Otherwise, it can actually kill someone. It is very hard on the
adrenals, too.

I got myself a new doctor, who diagnosed me with Wilson's Thyroid Syndrome.
He put me on low dose hydrocortisone and switched my thyroid medication to
T3 only. And I have been feeling soooo... much better. Today, I actually
did 12 flights of stairs! My sleep has improved a lot, but is not back to
what it was. It may be because I am now suffering with menopause symptoms.
In Wilson's Thyroid syndrome
 the body over converts T4 (your body's or in
the pill) to reverse T3, which is mostly inactive, but it competes for the
T3 receptors in your body and basically, you can be taking a ton of
Synthroid, Lavoxyl or any other T4 and still have hypo symptoms.

Also, the T4 may not be working for you if you have difficulty converting
T4 to T3, which a lot of people have. It sounds like to me that you
definitely have adreanl fatigue. My new doctor said that this sort of thing
can actually damage the adrenals. So, don't let this go. Forget about the
numbers they don't mean all that much at this point. You need to focus on
recovering your health and well being.

Why not look for a doc on the Wislson's site:
http://www.wilsonssyndrome.com/

Or, go to this good site and check their top docs list:
http://thyroid.about.com/

Tish