CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 20:02:14 -0400

From: [log in to unmask]
To:  ; [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2002 7:58 PM
Subject: Fast Track Timing: NEXT WEEK

Of interest, possible action; sample letter is attached.

The moment has arrived.  Sen. Daschle has announced that Fast Track debate
on the Senate floor could begin on or around next Thursday. The debate is
expected to last for a few weeks, with a vote likely by May 15th.

As we recall, this bill removes democracy and transparency from the trade agreement negotiation process, giving the president's administration enormous authority to conclude agreements.  Congress would be able to vote only yes or no, without the ability to propose amendments that could, e.g., protect public health, the environment, or working conditions.  The bill was doomed to defeat in the House until the leadership railroaded it through last fall.  Now it's the Senate's turn to consider it.

I've attached a letter that APHA has signed, urging amendments to this bill when it comes up on the Senate floor.  The most important thing we can do right now is to request that other organizations  you are in touch with sign on to this letter, particularly national and state-level groups concerned about health care and public health.  Please drop me a note if you succeed in getting a sign-on, or are close and need some back-up.  (Best to hit your "forward" button and paste in my individual email address instead of replying to the whole group.)

It is always a good idea to let your senators hear from you, so you may want to keep an eye on the debate in the Senate once the item comes up later this week and let them know what you think.  (Fine to sign and send this letter.)

For those of you who have not yet subscribed to the Globalization and Health listserve, please consider subscribing.  If some of you are receiving two copies of this message, apologies for cross-posting.  Best, Ellen

Ellen R. Shaffer, PhD, MPH
98 Seal Rock Drive
San Francisco, CA 94121-1437

work phone: 415-933-6204
email: [log in to unmask]
fax: 415-831-4091
home phone: 415-831-5494
We welcome posting on social justice & public health that provide:
a) information (e.g. about conferences or job announcements or
publications relevant to social justice & public health), and
b) substantive queries or comments directly addressing issues
relevant to social justice and public health.