BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deon Toerien <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 08:14:13 +0200
Hi,

I have an open source sreen reader project (in it's infant stages), that I'd
like to expose to the group.  My reason for developing this is that in South
Africa (where I'm located) screen readers cost about $2500 - $2800, which
amounts to up to R20 000.  A lot for a sole bread-winner.  I then started to
develop this screen reader for my sight disabled wife, and decided that it's
time to force the "big guns" to bring down their prices by given a cheap
(free) alternative, that doesn't necessarily work as well, but is enough to
get by.  More developers working on this could sort out some of the bugs a
lot quicker, and could also mean a more advanced application in a shorter
time span.  Because I've gotta earn an income to sustain both myself and my
wife, I can't spend a lot of time on the development, but any comments (or
help coding) the group can provide will be appreciated.

So how do I expose the group to this open source project?

Regards,

 <<...OLE_Obj...>>
Deon Toerien
Consultant
Genox
Suite 2
1st Floor
80 Strand Street
Cape Town
8000
*+27 (021) 421 6616
*+27 (021) 421 6617
PS: I'm doing this in my private capacity (not as a employee of Genox), but
with the knowledge of Genox.