THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tia West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 09:48:33 EDT
Anyway, cortisol levels should be checked first, because if a person has low
cortisol levels (adrenal stress hormone that regulates glucose) and get
thyroid medication, thyroid treatment will affect them badly.  If she has an
AM
cortisol test and it is on the low side of the range, like under 12 she
should get
hydrocortisone.  (Replacement level which is 20 mg which is taken as 5 mg 4
times daily, not large doses like doctors seem more likely to give.)

Skipper's message about his mother sounds very similar to some of my
symptoms. I have an a.m. cortisol of 12 and also take Synthyroid,  not the Amour as he
recommends.  I also have a TSH of 5. I feel horrible. My feet even ache like
his mother's did and my muscles in the front of my thighs hurt so bad I can
barely get up out of a chair or walk anymore. I'm tired all the time, etc.

The question is:  Where can I find a doctor who knows about these things or
will really listen to his patients? I have written before and received lots of
good advice from people on this board, but my doctors will not do the tests
suggested or even treat me as hypothyroid.  They think I'm foolish for looking
for answers on the internet, and they are still using the old TSH values as
normal. I would be willing to travel to another city if I could get in to see a
competent doctor who will help me.

Thank you for any referrals you can give me.

Tia West

 Thyroid messages contain only the opinions of their authors.
 Opinions expressed on Thyroid do not necessarily reflect the
 opinions of the management, publisher, or our advertisers.

 Change your own account here
   http://www.Emissary.Net/Thyroid/index.html

If a question isn't answered on Thyroid, check the Thyroid Archives:
<http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html> and ask again!