THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:18:38 EDT
From:   [log in to unmask]
Hello.  Can anyone tell me if Soy products are not recommended if someone is
hypothyroid, and on medication?

Actually, there are some who will tell you that soy isn't recommended in any
case.  A couple reasons, one is it has anti-thyroid qualities, and unlike
other goiterogenic vegetables (cabbage, spinach, brocoli and others) I don't think
the anti-thyroid property can be destroyed with cooking.  It also has
anti-nutrient properties, in that it limits the absorption of certain other
nutrients.

Furthermore, it has estrogen qualities to it.  If male, you certainly don't
want any, if a baby and taking soy formula, it is said to have more estrogen
than birth control pills and cause problems later on.  If female, the theory of
estrogen dominance says too much estrogen causes all kinds of health problems.

If your friend is hyper, it can regulate thyroid function by slowing it down.

Skipper

 I seem to remember seeing that somewhere.  A