THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 12:26:03 EDT
From:   Kathy ADSL Net <[log in to unmask]>

> Peg, my doctor denies that Soy has any effect on thyroid
> meds.

On the Internet, just like anywhere else, you can read a lot of garbage and
it's hard to discern whether it's true or not, unless you happen to be a
scientist that works in that particular area.

The food industry doesn't always care about our best health.  For example, my
daughter worked at a cereal company for a while as an intern in chemical
engineering, and one of the chemists told her group of interns that they spray
zinc on so they can include it in the nutrition label, yet they are well aware
that the body can't absorb the zinc they spray on.  (Not a high level secret if
told to a bunch of high school interns who wanted to become engineers
someday.)

There's a lot of anti-soy info out there saying that soy suppresses the
thyroid (and that point isn't even controversial, it is a goiterogen just like
broccoli, cabbage and related foods), is an anti-nutrient because it doesn't allow
you to absorb certain minerals you need, and it's full of estrogen which
causes a lot of problems and should be taken by no one.  (Estrogen, think first if
one is male it's bad, but then there's also the theory of estrogen dominance
which says that estrogen causes fat, moodiness, inactivates thyroid hormone
and all kinds of bad things and needs to be balanced with natural progesterone
to calm it down.  Check out Dr. John Lee and progesterone on the web to check
these estrogen  theories out and get his book.)

Anything can interfere with thyroid meds, in my opinion.  I stopped taking
vitamins at all for a while because I could tell they interfered with my timed
release T3.   With that, I could only take Vitamin B complex and Vitamin C
without interference.  I would think soy's anti-nutrient qualities might make it
difficult to absorb thyroid if taken around the same time, so I wouldn't do it.

If you are on enough meds to suppress your thyroid, it doesn't matter if soy
suppresses it, because that's already done.  Even then you have to worry about
how it affects absorption if at all, and doctors know a lot, yet even the
smartest doctor only knows a minuscule amount of knowledge in comparison to all
there is to know.

I worked with someone one time (not in the medical profession) who knew a lot
more than me off the top of her head.  However, I would frequently send her
work back because she didn't bother looking things up and she used to get quite
moody and upset (maybe she was estrogen dominant) when it turned out that I
was right even about things she was sure she knew.  I may not have known as
much, but I did know enough to check references when I should.  Some doctors are
the same way.  I haven't seen too many poring over books on my account, or
even checking the PDR before writing a prescription.

I'm hypothyroid and have a terrible time eating

> breakfast because of nausea.

One little known potential symptom of hypothyroidism is anorexia.  (I'm sure
they don't eat because they get nauseous too.)  My then 7 year old son would
be urgently hungry and then sit down for supper and be stuffed after two bites.
 We had some battles when I tried to force feed him, I eventually took him to
a psychiatrist and then for a colonoscopy before I figured out he had thyroid
troubles.  It's hard to eat when as the gastroenterologist pointed out he was
so constipated in spite of what the GI gave him before the procedure.  On
enough thyroid, he stopped getting nauseous, stopped being constipated, and
started eating normally again.

Many hypos aren't even treated well enough to get rid of their constipation.
One must have enough thyroid medication and the right kind (Synthroid may
work but if it doesn't then Armour or T3) or their symptoms stay with them and
they can see the doctor a lot more for health problems that are related to
thyroid insufficiency that the doctor doesn't see as being thyroid problems but
really are.  They like to say, "I'm treating your thyroid, your numbers are fine,
and it's something else."  If I hadn't increased my dosage and improved a
number of times in spite of statements like that, I wouldn't know.

>   I'm allergic to nuts
> and I can't tolerate anything with a high fat content.

Good fats are necessary for thyroid function.  I think I've heard gall
bladder problems are common in hypos, but don't have experience with that, unless
that's the reason my cholesterol is low when for most hypos it's high) .  Poor
gall bladder function means a hard time digesting fat, I've heard.

Skipper

  Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - <http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid>
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]