THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 01:37:59 EST
I would ditto the suggestion to look into T3, especially if your Reverse T3
results are on the high side.  I take Time Release T3, which needs to be
refrigerated, and Cytomel cut with a pill cutter and taken in smaller doses more
frequently when I travel.  I am improving all the time.

I also take calcium and magnesium, and for some reason I need more magnesium
than comes with the usual cal-mag tablets.  Doctor also found I was low in
potassium.  For a while I took two tablets a day, but now once a day is enough.
I can tell when I don't have enough and when I have too much.

A big clue that past doctors ignored:  One day about twelve years ago I
accidentally took two Synthroid tablets with breakfast and iron supplement -- 300
mcg. twice.  I was prepared to rush to the hospital if weird things started to
happen, as I had been warned would happen.  Instead I had a blissful day with
no pain.  When I told the doctors, they just pooh-poohed me.

Now I know.  The breakfast and the iron interfered with absorption of
Synthroid (T4).  Much of the T4 that got through was converted to a useless Reverse
T3, which did my cells no good.  My cells were starved for T3.  No wonder I
hurt and was slow and everything else hypo.  The docs could not figure out why I
had no hyper symptoms.  They did not bother to figure this out, and they just
made me sicker.

Peg