CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Teresa Van Nuland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Teresa Van Nuland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 22:03:57 -0500

Dear Parents of Children with Diabetes and Celiac Disease,

My name is Teresa A. Van Nuland.  My son, Tyler, was diagnosed with insulin-dependent diabetes and celiac disease at age six in 2001.

Currently, our family is working with the Disabilities Rights to Education and Defense Fund organization (DREDF).  This organization is investigating circumstances that resulted in my son's expulsion from La Petite Academy - Kenosha.  After two and one-half years of providing insulin administration, La Petite Academy has decided that it is no longer willing to accept the liability of insulin administration to diabetic children.   DREDF is considering legal action to amend previous litigation such that La Petite would be required by law to provide insulin to all children with diabetes in their care.  I am gathering information to support this cause, and my son and I need your help.

Please take a few moments to complete the following information and return to me. Be assured that your name will not be forwarded to anyone without your express permission.  Your privacy is important to us.  Bless you!

1.      Do you have a diabetic child in daycare (including summers or before/after school care)?        If no, then skip to question #7.

2.      Specifically, is your child in care at La Petite Academy, Kindercare, other group daycare, or private/in-home daycare?

3.      Is insulin administered to your child for meals while at daycare?      If no, then skip to question # 8.

4.      Is insulin administered by daycare personnel (ever)?        By a parent?        If other, please specify.

5.      Do you pay for the service of insulin administration to accommodate your child's needs while at the daycare?

6.      Does the daycare have a nurse or other licensed/trained medical professional on staff?

7.      If you do not use daycare, then is this decision due to your child's need for diabetic care?

8.      Would you be interested in joining other parents of children with diabetes to support litigation requiring La Petite Academy/group daycares to provide insulin administration?

9.      May I contact you if I have further questions or needs for clarification?

Kind regards,

Teresa A. Van Nuland