CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Frances Kelley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Frances Kelley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 20:25:47 -0500

My original post asked for a muffin or bar like snack that I could bring to
a soccer game.  My daughter (the soccer player) is celiac and there is also
a diabetic on her team and a girl with nut allergies.  I was hopping to
find something that could accommodate all 3 diets.

Thank you to everyone who replied.  This is quite a creative group.

A lot of people suggested fruit.  This is a great idea and it is
easy.  But, we actually do 2 snacks at each game.  The half time snack is
fruit and the end of the game snack is a "treat".  Most of the time it is
granola bars.  So, I could do 2 types of fruit.

Some of the other suggestions are listed below:

-    A lot of people recommended the various mixes that we can get at the
health food store or on the WEB.  The only caution I got here was to make
sure there were no nut flours or contamination.

-    Frigo string cheese and "juice boxes"

-    Banana Muffins:

-    "rice krispie" type of bars made with gluten free crisp rice
cereal.  Again a caution to make sure that the cereal is not subject to
contamination from nuts

-    cheese cubes or cheese & sausage cubes?  You could make skewers of
cheese and sausage cubes so each child could just grab one and go.

-    popcorn, pop it yourself at home to sure the oil had no nut oil in
it.  You could fill individual sandwich bags for the kids to grab.

-    frozen fruit bars.

The specific recomendations about diabetes and sugar subsititues are below:

-    use a sugar substitutes

-    use honey or Splenda to sweeten things; Splenda sometimes has funny
reactions in baking, so I only use it when I'm out of honey.  Honey should
be fine since it is an all-natural food.

-    you don't need to make the snack sugar-free for the diabetic. Type 1
diabetics eat a normal diet and give insulin to cover the carbohydrates
they eat

-    you don't need to worry too much about the sugar content of a snack
because she will be running, and needs the extra carbs.

Thank you again for all your help.

Francie Kelley
Austin, TX

* Support summarization of posts, reply to the SENDER not the CEL-KIDS List *