THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 01:36:47 EDT
In a message dated 7/22/2004 11:30:05 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
I am led to consider trying more of my cortisol replacement as prednisone
could have a steadying affect on my thyroid replacement (currently
synthroid)>>>>
After using both on dozens of patients, each seems to have advantages and
disadvantages. The fluctuations in cortisol levels is not as dramatic as it seems
like it should be. Probably because we are usually dealing with Adrenal
Fatigue, not Total Adrenal Failure. The theory is that by replacing part of the
cortisol, the Adrenal Glands have more energy to heal, and are better able to
keep up their daily work. Thus, it seems like the Adrenals may be working in
between cortisol doses.

Regardless of what is really happening, some people do very well on cortisol
but usually need to take it 3 times a day. This is handy if you need to adjust
dosing to fit stress times. It is a difficult situation if a person cannot
take meds 3 times a day.

Prednisone is my treatment of choice for people who cannot take their meds 3
times a day. It has a bit less flexibility, but I haven't seen a consistent
difference. A few people have bad responses to one, but not the other.

Pregnenolone is a very weak steroid, and it has been useful for a few
patients. I was told that before cortisol, pregnenolone was widely used for a variety
of conditions.

Some of my patients cannot tolerate either cortisol nor prednisone. I find
that Adrenal Extract actually works much of the time. It seems much weaker than
cortisol or prednisone, but I have not had anyone who couldn't tolerate it.
Some of my patients swear by Siberian Ginseng, others by licorice. I have not
used these enough.

Doc Don

 Thyroid messages contain only the opinions of their authors.
 Opinions expressed on Thyroid do not necessarily reflect the
 opinions of the management, publisher, or our advertisers.

 Change your own account here
   http://www.Emissary.Net/Thyroid/index.html

If a question isn't answered on Thyroid, check the Thyroid Archives:
<http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html> and ask again!