THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 2004 17:59:32 EDT
From:   Susan Austin <[log in to unmask]>

Sure I'd be glad to explain more - I'm the one who has Hashimotos,
diagnosed in 1997 with TSH of 21 and doing relatively well on 4 grains
Armour.

Sometimes, thyroid problems go away with adrenal treatment.  I recently heard
someone speculate that perhaps those with Hashi's are that wasy because of
adrenal problems.  A few years ago, I found an educational medical school site
that was summarizing an endocrinology journal, and they talked of a patient
with historically high Hashi's titters coming to the emergency room with an
adrenal crises.  They treated him with corticosteroids for a time (without
specifying dosage) and after a relatively short time, the person no longer needed the
corticosteroids and his Hashi's antibodies were gone.  At
www.thyroidmanager.org, somewhere, it mentions that 25% of those with Hashi's go into remission.
Perhaps it's because their adrenals rest and get better..

Your husband could need Cortef. I need it.  Some are sensitve to thyroid meds
without it, others can tolerate a lot more because of it.

However, first I would look at his diet.  The adrenals need Vitamin C.  Most
of the Vitamin C in the body is used by the adrenals.  They also need other
nutrients like magnesium.  Sugar is bad.  Most of us with low adrenals crave
salt.  I did until I went on Cortef.  Even then, we should not limit salt, we
need more of it than most.  We also need to get adequate sleep every night.  It
makes a huge difference.  And we should subdue our diurnal pattern of being
tired and lethargic until 10 PM at which time we can work productively for a few
hours.  Doing this only tires us out more.

If his diet is already good, then I would ask for the Cortef.

Skipper

 Thyroid messages contain only the opinions of their authors.
 Opinions expressed on Thyroid do not necessarily reflect the
 opinions of the management, publisher, or our advertisers.

 Change your own account here
   http://www.Emissary.Net/Thyroid/index.html

If a question isn't answered on Thyroid, check the Thyroid Archives:
<http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html> and ask again!