THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Skipper Beers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 13:57:48 EDT
> Reedo <[log in to unmask]>

>  If you have goiter, is it assumed you are hypo?
One of many contradictions with symptoms.  Generally it is more likely to
have goiter if you are hypo, but a hyper person can have one too.  I think
Hashimoto's is known for causing goiters and TSH needs to be suppressed to
keep it from growing and sometimes shrink it.  My thyroid was swollen enough
to cause sleep apnea as well as choking on food at 2 grains of Armour on 3
grains the problems went away.

> .  I have had endometriosis
>  for many years and have never been able to conceive.  If I AM pregnant, I
am
>  wondering why NOW -- five weeks after starting Thyroxine.

My wife is a classic example of a child born when mother was treated for
hypo.  At 38, she went on Armour Thyroid and suddenly had two children
without miscarriage.  Doc Don has started several people on thyroid meds
after which time they could finally conceive.  Infertility, miscarriages are
both problems caused by low thyroid.  (Do you think the first thing the
fertility experts do is a cheap TSH test?  More likely that's something they
avoid completely so as not to cut into their revenue.)

>  I lowered my Thyroxine dose to 50 last week (from 100, which was the dose I
>  took for four weeks) and I started feeling a little better.
It is extremely important to be well treated during pregnancy.  Important for
the baby too, and once born subtle little symptoms like a hoarse cry, not
feeding well, frequent infections and lots of other things can mean he's hypo
too.  Some say is if the mother is not treated adequately the baby will be
hypo as a result..

 I did notice
>  the costochondritis has worsened.
You may have just gone up too fast, and that's why you felt the need to go
down.  I don't know how quickly you're increasing, especially during
pregnancy I would think it dangerous to increase too fast, but important to
get as much as you need.

>.  He wants to see me in two
>  weeks, but I'm not sure why so soon.
That's a good thing if you are pregnant and think you may need more meds.
You probably will eventually as that is a very small dose.

It sounds like you only suspect the pregnancy because of the long cycle.
Home pregnancy tests are normally as accurate as the doctor.  If you are,
it's normal to become so once your thyroid is treated even if you've been
trying for many years.

Skipper Beers