EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2005 03:48:48 -0500
To reply to a digest, insert the relevant message header; don't reply to the digest header

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 15:53, Wally Day wrote:

>> 5) Fun.  Properly performed exercise ain't fun.  Any more than carrying
>>buffalo meat back to camp was fun.
>
>But, humans have this tendency to try to make even the most mundane
>activity "fun". (Notice, I said "try". We are not always successful :). I
>can imagine a couple of hunters challenging each other by seeing who could
>care the largest piece, or who could carry it further. Making a game out of
>it.
>
>I believe there is always a potential element of "fun" in any exercise
>activity. Even if it's just the "fun" of succesfully beating a previous
>personal record.

I was loose with my terms.  By fun I really meant enjoyable in the achievement, the praise received,
the satisfaction felt and in the exuberance of pushing yourself to the limit.  Not 'fun' as such at the
time, but intrisically rewarding to attract me back for more.

Did you see the Go Animal bulletin last month on Play and Work?

http://goanimal.com/newsletters/2005/play_ethic/ethic.html

In it Frank calls for a 'play ethic' to balance the old 'work ethic'.

Keith

The FAQ for Evolutionary Fitness is at http://www.evfit.com/faq.htm