NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"R. Pellerin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:11:56 -0500
My son is allergic to dairy as well and nothing else (knock wood). There is
LOTS to eat.  I substitute oil or margarine for butter and soy or even rice
milk for milk for many recipes.  Note that oil does not work for things like
pie crusts or butter cookies.  But oil works great in my muffins and
brownies.  Remember that cocoa is not chocolate and is dairy free and there
is also that health food standard carob.  I get my cocoa powder and dairy
free chocolate chips (made with cocoa butter) at my local bulk food store.

Burgers, fries, pasta, stews, Chinese foods, fish (in a dairy free batter)
are all cooked here and enjoyed.  Sushi, falafel, tofu, loads of
fruit...lots of different foods eaten here.

If you are looking for alternative recipes without milk, check out a vegan
website, bearing in mind that the recipes will also be without eggs but it
can be a starting point for ideas and inspiration in the kitchen.

Eating out can be a challenge, so we rarely do.  Chinese food to date has
been very safe (as long as there are no peanut concerns...).  We cook more
from scratch, which in the end, is not such a bad thing.

Good luck.