NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
MaryBeth Noonan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 09:19:49 -0400
The "d" marking on ANY product indicates that the product IS made on shared
equipment with another product that contains dairy.  The "d" itself does not
always mean dairy is present.  2 options.. one is the product contains a
dairy component  the other is that it does not but was made on the same
factory line of one that does contain dairy and therefore cross
contamination is a possibility.  However, all manufacturers wash down their
line and sterilize when switching from each product... but they cannot
guarantee 100% that there is not a trace of anything...

I allow my boys these products because they are older now they always have
benedryl and epi pen on hand and in the likelihood they got a "trace" amount
benedryl would take care of it.  They also can tell me immediately if
something "isn't right". Over the years it has happened a couple of times
that something got cross contaminated... (McDonalds put the little creamers
for my coffee in their hash brown bag when they were very small and their
allergy was very new to me and I never knew that that UNOPENED creamer could
cause so much trouble I now order milk in my coffee so they put it in before
they give me the coffee).. If they had a spoonful of ice cream they would
still have an anaphylactic reaction...I do try  to feed them and our family
80% of our diets from Organic foods/Meats Natural foods... without all the
preservatives... and because of hidden dairy we avoid almost all processed
foods, too much junk in them and the labels go on for ever too much to read.
. and they're not even good most of the time... Meats, Fish, Veggie, Fruit
Soy Milk, Soy Yogurt, Soy Ice Creams (there's some really awesome flavors at
Whole Foods)but I will allow the boys to put the Hershey's chocolate or
Hershey's Krackle shell on their Soy ice cream ( no dairy in the ingrediants
but it is an OUd product) We all have to decide the risks... my boys will
make you read every single lable even if I know its ok...

Beth