From:
Phillip Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 May 2009 13:00:49 -0400
Greetings,
 I recently sent this to the PCSoft list but I now think this list may
be more appropriate. Hope it's OK to post it again...

When I play a dvd movie it often freezes at some point in the movie
and the pointer dosen't appear on the screen. If I'm in full-screen
view (I usually am), the only thing Iv'e found I can do is
ctrl-alt-delete which shows in processes that system is 99% idle
(I have also run "Task Patrol" and "What's Running" and found no undue
activity). However, the hard drive activity light stays on when the
freeze occurs.
Using ctrl+alt+del  also brings my task bar into view so I can try a restart.
But when I attempt re-start, I get a rundll32.exe not responding.
Selecting the "end now" button has no effect and I eventually have to
manually reboot after which the dvd player works fine.

Another strange thing during a "freeze", when I went to My Computer
properties and clicked on Device Manager, it showed the hourglass
pointer and ... nothing else.
Device manager never opened.

After reboot, I got in device manager and the only oddity was yellow
exclaimations for
Other Devices/Multimedia Audio Controller.

The system is a Soyo Dragon 2 mobo with a P-4 3.20ghz
2046 ram,  Axel GeForce FX 5500 gddr1 video card
MSI TV@nywhere video capture card
Sony DRU 530a dvd drive, Optarc AD 7200a dvd drive
Creative SB Audigy 2 zs audio card
WD 67gig 10,000 rpm HD
xp home SP1

DVD player is Cyberlink Power DVD ver. 5.0.0.822 which I download
with another computer. It was either an older version or a trial
edition which never quit working.

This computer dosen't have any anti-virus or anti-spyware software as
it's NEVER connected to the internet and I am carefull to scan any
disc or flash drive in my other computer before using it (AVG, AdAware
and Spybot S&D).

It seems to be random as far as how far into a movie or if a sudden
scene change might cause the freeze.

I've recently added the Optarc drive but problem was happening before
and it happens regardless of which dvd drive I use.

Other than the occasional freeze (sometimes older or non-copywrite
protected movies don't freeze), I'm really happy with the Power DVD
program and I may go ahead and buy the full version. But first I would
like to know it's not a computer problem that's unrelated to the
software.

TIA,
Phil Williams

                     support at our newest website: