CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amy McGovern <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amy McGovern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 May 2009 16:13:15 -0500

At the bottom is a summary of the recipes that I received.  We are
going to try them out over the next few weeks!  Also, I received
several recommendations for other commercially produced bars
including:  Lara Bars, Comfort Bars, Think Thin Bars, nugonutrition
dark chocolate crunch (www.nugonutrition.com), Can Do Kid Bars (www.iamacandokid.com
).  I will examine these as well probably starting with Lara Bars
since I know our health food store carries them.

Thank you!!

-Amy

Recipes:
Yummy Banana-Oat Bars
Marian Fanok

Serves: 8
Preparation Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:
2 cups quick oats (not instant)
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup raisins or chopped dates
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
2 large ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (optional)
1 tablespoon date sugar (optional)
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix ingredients together in a large bowl.
Press dough in a 9"X 9" baking pan and bake for 30 minutes.
Cool on wire rack. When cool, slice into squares or bars and serve.
Note: Add the applesauce & date sugar for a sweeter, moister version
of these bars.

I also just tried a new recipe that was easy and tasty.  You can
substitute peanut butter with almond or cashew butter.  I also
substituted the sugar and corn syrup with about 1/2 c agave.
1 c peanut butter/ use almond butter
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c corn syrp
1/3 c butter
2 tsp vanilla
3 1/3 c rolled oats
1/2 c flake coconut
1/2 c sunflower seed
1/2 GF choc. chips

mix and press into greased 13 X 9 pan bake 350 for 20 minutes.  Cool,
refrigerate and cut.  Keep refrigerated
ENERGY BALLS

1 cup each
     sunflower seeds
     pumpkin seeds,
     nuts (cashew, almond...)

1 cup banana chips

chop them all in food processor until no bigger than 1/3 size of a
sunflower seed.
put into another bowl
2 handfuls of pitted dates
1 handful of raisins
1/2 cup nut butter  (peanut, cashew, almond...)
2-3 Tbs flax or hemp oil (I used melted coconut oil for the taste)
pulse in the food processor (this is the difficult part because it
jams up)

Next add to the processor mix:
2/3 cup protein powder (could be vanilla Spirutein or any other.  I
use a special non allergen one)

Remove from processor and use hands to mix with the ground nuts.  It
should be somewhat crumbly but stick together.  Add more powder if to
wet or more flax oil of to dry.
Scoop with a  teaspoon and roll into a ball and refrigerate. If your
hands get to sticky wet them a bit.
It's a lot of work but look how healthy and no processed sugar!  They
are great to grab on the go.
**I am going to try adding Koala Krisps (chocolate rice krispies) for
a new twist.
They can also be rolled in coconut or maybe a cocoa powder

Nut Butter Trail Mix Bar

3 Cups GF Rice Cereal or a Combination of Cereals * See Note
1 Cup Sliced Almonds
1 Cup Dried Cranberries
1 Cup Sliced Dates
1 1/2 Cups Raisins
1/2 Cup Sunflower Seeds
1 Cup Honey
3/4 Cup Sugar
16 Ounces of Peanut Butter or Almond Butter
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1 Cup Dairy Free Chocolate Chips

Combine honey and sugar in saucepan, heat over medium heat 3 to 5
minutes or until it comes to a boil, Boil one minute.  Add nut butter,
chocolate chips and vanilla, stir to melt.  Pour over cereal and fruit
mixture, press into greased pan, when cool cut into squares.

Note: You can use any combination of nuts and dried fruits.  Try a few
of these substitutes: dried cherries, coconut, golden raisins, dried
apricots sliced chopped pecans, or chopped walnuts.

You can get the gluten free puffed rice cereal at Whole Foods Market.

* Note: You can also make this without the cereal – just use all nuts
& dried fruits.

Dried Fruit & Nut Balls – No Cook!

1/2 Cup Raisins
1/2 Cup Dried Apricots
1/2 Cup Chopped Dates
3/4 Cup Dried Cranberries or Dried Cherries
3/4 Cup Pecans or Walnuts
1 Cup Almonds
1/4 Cup orange juice
1/2 Confectioners Sugar, sifted

Combine dried fruit and nuts in a food processor and pulse to a coarse
texture, about one minute.  Add the orange juice and pulse again until
the mixture sticks together.  Shape the mixture into 1 inch balls,
roll them in powdered sugar. Or dip in melted chocolate.

Refrigerate, or store in an airtight container.
Makes about 2 1/2 doz.

* Support summarization of posts, reply to the SENDER not the CEL-KIDS List *