ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sharon Hooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 2016 17:59:31 -0700
Andrew,

I can understand your frustration about not having friends and prayer partners in person.  I've had a lot of isolation in my life too.  I grew up mostly in a rural community and went to a small church until I was older.  I had a few  temporary friendships at church and school,  but I felt left out of a lot of things. I now realize that I am responsible for part of that.  But asparently and sadly, devoted Christian friends  seem difficult to find, especially for people like us with disabilities!  I can see that it's hard for you to sit around and wait, and God knows your struggle to commune with Him.  But sometimes we do need to wait, in His strength, not in our own power that makes us so frustrated.  But while you wait, please remember that you have us.  I know it's not the same as having friends physically to hang out with and to agree in prayer, but right now this interaction online might be the best we  can do with whatever God makes available to us,  and He is just as willing to work in you till He's finished.  Please do remember that  God gives His servants the amount of equipment, gifts or tallents as He sees fit.  If we are faithful with the little things, He'll give us bigger things to work with.

As for jobs and volunteer work, I think I can kind of relate to not finding something   to do hands-on, but sadly we don't see many  opportunities to meet those desires.  But Andrew, your work with our groups is just as important, and maybe for such a time as this.  I marvel that I can have influence in many parts of the world, directly from my bedroom!    Please don't ever forget this!  As a matter of fact, I came across what I think is one of the best Christian outreach programs that you can participate in easily by corresponding with others with disabilities via email to lead them to Christ.  I don't remember the exact name of it, but it's part of Joni Earicson Tada's Joni and Friends group.  I listened to a video of a couple of people who are involved.  One of them may have a severe disability that requires personal care.  She sees working through email as an equalizing playing field.  The other, if I understand corectly, is a lady with autism and does not speak, yet she does her share of emailing.  I heard her synthetic voice expressing how she can communicate like this.  I wouldn't be surprised if some of these  disciples  really  do have to sit around and not go out much, if at all.  Andrew, we just need to do what we can with what we've got.

God bless you,
Sharon H.