CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joan Fleitas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 12:05:27 -0500

I thought that you might have children who would be interested in
helping me.

I'm a Pediatric Nurse educator working on a project to improve life
in school for children with chronic illness. I'm gathering stories from
children with any type of long-term illness: eg. asthma, celiac disease,
heart disease, diabetes, cancer, arthritis, cystic fibrosis...I plan to
analyze their stories for common threads and then develop a Web site for
use in elementary schoolclassrooms with a children's story that
synthesizes the issues that the children (experts) share with
me. In other words, the children help me develop a story that would help
their classmates understand what it's like to be growing up with a
chronic illness. The site would, of course, also include links to
educational programs about specific diseases, and specific stories that
any of the children authors would like to share, but the focus of my
story is to address COMMON issues. I'd like to help healthy kids  better
understand the needs of their classmates who grow up with illness
while at the same time dealing with issues that all children share in
growing up. Please visit my Web site to learn more about it. I'd really
appreciate any help that you might be able to give me in encouraging
children to send me their stories.

http://funrsc.fairfield.edu/~jfleitas/Parent.html

Thanks so much for your help. I look forward to hearing from you!

Joan Fleitas, R.N. Doctoral Candidate,
TC, Columbia University
  e-mail  [log in to unmask]