CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fran Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 1998 20:18:30 -0800

Hello! Grant (the listowner) tells me there are now 45 people subscribed
to the Cel-Diabetes list now & the intro screen suggests that we might
introduce ourselves, so here goes....

My name is Fran, and I am thrillled that this forum now exists!
I was dx'x w/ Celiac Sprue in April '96, after 8 months of my family
practitioner unable to properly diagnose me, and becoming increasingly
more ill. I switched to a gastroenterologist, who listened to my list of
symptoms, and figured out that I had Celiac Sprue in about 20 minutes!
In January '97 I was dx'd w Type 2 diabetes. I participated in a 6 month
drug study (Rezulin like drug - family of Troglitazone), in part so I
could have extensive tests, monthly A1c's, EKG's, bloodwork etc.......
to get a clear knowledge of my progress.

After the study was over, I switched to Rezulin for 3 months, but did
not like the news of liver "events" (complications & some fatalities),
and decided since I had made so many changes- diet, exercise & meds all
at once, it was time to see if diet & exercise were going to get it for
me. The longer I could avoid meds, would leave more optioins for me down
the road, as well as knowing more (wait & see) of what the long term
effects of Rezulin would be.

After 3 months off meds I came back w an A1c of 5.9 ( post holidays!!)
so I am inspired to go the d  & e route for now & was dabbling in
low-carb, but need to get more seriously into it. I had tried chromium
picolinate, but am starting to have swelling of the feet as a side
effect, so not looking like that will be an option.

Besides this juggling act, I have a great family- husband, 2 kids that
seem to keep me busy all the time w/ one thing or another~ love to
bicycle, swim & canoe.

Fran