CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Nylander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Apr 1998 09:47:35 -0400

Coleen:

thing I am familiar with is that fatigue is a major factor. The energy
level gets better upon eating several small meals a day. Small portions of
protein along with healthy carbs gives a balance to hypoglycemia. Sugar
makes the symptoms worse. Many people that are not diabetic have
hypoglycemia (body produces too much insulin) so bad that they get the
shakes, etc. and pass out. I have battled hypoglycemia for 25 years - it
is important to eat healthy and at regular intervals just like diabetics.
The exception here is that hypoglycemics do not need to take insulin.

If you think your son is hypoglycemic and is having any of these symptoms
you need to schedule an appt. with his physician. Concern about his being
a little chubby - if there is nothing else wrong just encourage exercise
and healthy eating patterns. Exercising as a family starts a life long
healthy attitude as well as developing a great habit.

Pam N.