CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pam Nylander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 18:51:59 -0500

Dear Fran:

Regarding "aka Bernstein," I recently read the book. This obviously
works for many people, but I want to write to Dr. Bernstein and ask,
"How do celiacs fit in this picture?" I can guarantee that the grain
cracker he allows on the diet contains gluten. His diet is very
restrictive in other ways also - minimal fruits, veggies, etc.

In managing Brittany's diabetes I have given her more protein because I
have to feed the child something - she can not live on lettuce salad
alone! I am not sure the jury is in on the long term effects of such
high protein levels Dr. Bernstein recommends. The relationship of high
protein intake to kidney damage is a concern for me.

We have to remember each one of us has a different body chemistry and
what works for one may not work for another. This is what makes taking
care of ourselves/and or children w/diabetes/cel. so difficult.

I wish I had an answer and the only thing I can hope to contribute in
the future is a gf lower carb "edible" bread by utilizing my experience
in the food industry. But trust me this is going to take a while.

Pam