SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE Archives

Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture

SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dov Henis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 15:08:45 +0200
Simon writes : "So what is it that gives a particular problem its
scientific worth ?"  and later he writes : "Can the scientific worth of a
problem be determined by scientific method ?".

First we need to clear terms.  We use the term "scientific" as religious
people use the term "god". Both have different meanings to different people
depending on their educational background or beliefs. Let us accept that by
"science" and "scientific" we refer to facts discerned by methods used that
are based on systematic experimental approach. Then Simon's first above
question may be reworded "what is it that justifies expending effort and
means on a systematic experimental study of  a particular problem ?",  and
his above 2nd question becomes "can we answer a question of a human value
by a systematic experimental assessment ?"

There will be various answers to the two reworded questions as human beings
vary in values and in attitudes and in age ( how urgent/important are
issues).  My own answer to the first question is what I have said earlier,
namely that our major call should be to learn OUR BASICS, our universe and
our origin and our nature.  My answer to the second question is "no,
because a worth is a human value tag and thus is not an existing entity;
yet by my own scale of values the worth of a scientific find is directly
proportional to how much it contributes to our learning of our universe and
origin and nature.

It seems to me so simply clear that it may be confusing.

Dov
---------