SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE Archives

Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture

SCIENCE-AS-CULTURE@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hank Bromley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sci-Cult Science-as-Culture <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 23:31:34 -0500
On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Nieman, Adam wrote:

> I thought this must be a joke too. I e-mailed Philip
> Kimball of FLAT to confirm this but he replied:
>
> "this is a very serious issue.  come to the press
> conference at the public library, today, march 30, at 2:00
> p.m"

Which doesn't necessarily mean it isn't a put-on.  Their web page
(http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/5737/flat.html) now contains
links to media coverage of the press conference, and it seems pretty clear
that it's a group trying to counter efforts to have creationism taught in
schools, via a public display of reductio ad absurdum.  They are indeed
intervening in what they consider a "very serious issue":  the creationist
effort.

Of course, the fact that readers here found it quite possible that the
group's statement might be in earnest may say something about the state of
public discourse on science...or about stereotyped views of Kansas.

-- Hank Bromley

P.S. Anyone else wondering if Norm was hoping someone would take the bait
and *defend* the statement?