CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Andrej Grubacic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 15:24:15 +0100
Yes , you are right up to the point.
But , please, there is no hatered towards "America", as some fictive
entitity, I am making a rather big difference between Goverments ( and a
notion of Power) and militarism as something that is imanent to State as
such, and ordinary people.
USA are the only Empire left today. They are imposing what we are reffering
to as" globalization", or neoliberal ideology and practice, as well as
geostrategical imperial"national interests" to the rest of the world. So, US
imperialism is probably the most dangerous feature of today's global
society.
It dosnt have anything to do with americans or "America" but with
imperialism and it's consequences Chomsky is very graphicaly describing.
And, yes, he is stressing that in my country , as well as in Africa , there
was a structure in mentality of West which remains till this day , which
tuned our parts of the world, by famous west/east and north/south dichotomy
, into collonies and service areas ( cf. "Year 501", his best historical
book)

It is no question of excuses, itis rather obvious, that complex historical
process of imperial interests and domestic oligarchies which are actng on
the expence of the Third World citizens.
That is where I tthink that you are making a mistake.
And about AIDS story, here is a mail from my friend , professorof molecular
biology and medicine from Kansas, wich is close to your argumentation and it
is interesting as counter-story....
----------------
The main argument of this 1000 page book is that HIV was introduced into the
human population during wide-scale vaccinations in Africa om 50's and 60's.
From a scientific standpoing, as I see it anyway, this a rather irrelevant
issue because there is copious evidence that HIV was present in human
populations prior to the large scale vaccinations. There are medical reports
of sailors from last century that exhibited the symptoms of AIDS.
Physicians working in Africa have been familiar with "wasting disease" that
most people believe was AIDS.  So, from a scientific standpoint, the theory
that HIV was introduced in human populations during vaccinations doesn't
stand.

There are two main issues in the origin of HIV and we cannot get them
confused:
(1) evolutionary origin of HIV
(2) introduction of HIV in human populations.

On the evolutionary origin of HIV there is little debate and discussion
because the scientific evidence is overwhelming.  HIV evolved from related
retroviruses in higer primates, these viruses are called SIV (simian
immunodeficiency viruses). There are conspiracy theorists who argue that HIV
was engineered in high-secret government laboratories. This is simply wrong.

Regarding the entrance of HIV in human populations, the debate is ongoing
and unlikely to be solved in the near future, at least not conclusively.
There are some very reasonable theories, but they all have some support in
the scientific data.  The likely outcome of this debate will be that HIV has
entered the human populations at numerous times in history and with a
variety of mechanisms.  Nature is not always nice and tidy when it comes to
complex life processes.

If anybody is interested in more information about this issue, contact me..

Pozdrav, Bye,

Aleksandar N. Dajkovic