CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Issodhos @aol.com" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 23:19:23 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

> previously secular columnists. In general, it's hard really
>  to know what to say about the press frenzy surrounding the Kursk. After
>  what seems like decades of Elians and O.J.'s one feels
>  powerless to oppose these onslaughts. One thing is certain: when it wants
>  to, today's media can focus the attention of the entire world on a single
>  spot on the Earth, no matter how remote, for an indefinite length of time.
>  That this power is almost never used to
>  make us examine our own problems is becoming a given.

    I am completely baffled by this claim of a press frenzy.  It was my
impression that  the fate of the Kursk was, if anything, under reported, if
for no other reason than because it would interfer with Gore's inaguration.
I thought their would be the typical phony attempt by the media to use human
interest aspects of the accident to boost ratings and manipulate the emotions
of their audience.  Instead, it was treated like just another traffic
accident.
Yours,
Issodhos